Shiitake mushrooms have an umami flavour (a flavour that is beyond sweet, sour, salty, and bitter) Shiitake mushrooms have been revered as an “Elixir of Life” in the ancient healing tradition of Oriental medicine. Highly nutritious, they contain virtually all of the essential amino acids the body needs to stay and become healthy. In Asia shiitake are symbol of longevity and are revered for lowering high blood pressure, preventing cancer, enhancing immunity, improving digestion, helping with weight loss and promoting a long and healthy life.
Shiitake mushrooms happily grow on sweet chestnut logs, the Asian Chestnut is one of their natural host trees. These mushrooms have ten times more flavour than the shop purchased button mushrooms.
At Chestnut Brae, we have now finished pruning our orchard and being sustainable as a farm use the logs to benefit our customers. We injected the logs with mushrooms so that you can have your own fresh mushrooms.
Our logs come with care instructions on how to look after your log at home. Once the mushrooms fruit they can last for many months and the logs for a number of years.
There are numerous recipes for Shiitake mushrooms. Here’s a Shiitake Mushroom Soup recipe to start with.
To make soup you will need:
• 500 grams of your organic mushrooms, sliced
• 2 cloves of locally grown garlic
• 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary
1. Chop the garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes
2. Heat the broth in stainless steel pan, when it steams add the mushrooms ,cover and cook for 3 minutes
3. Remove saucepan cover and cook for 4 more minutes
4. Pour in the olive oil, add salt and pepper and other ingredients and your soup is ready.
Order Your Shiitake Injected chestnut logs now $30 a Log
Email us: Chestnut Brae firstname.lastname@example.org or message us.