Quick and easy way to Prepare Chestnuts
Some recipes call for chestnuts to be roasted, grilled, boiled, steamed or microwaved; all are easy.
1. When cooking unpeeled chestnuts, first score by cutting an X on the flat side of the nut with the tip of a sharp knife.
2. Boil : Place cut chestnuts in boiling water and cook until tender 15-20 minutes, if in doubt cut one in half to check if it’s cooked through.
3. Roast or bake: Place cut chestnuts on oven tray and cook at 2000C for 15 – 20 minutes or until shell splits.
4. Barbecue: Cook, turning occasionally, in a pan over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until shell splits.
5. Microwave: Place a layer of cut chestnuts in a covered container on high / 100% for 2-3 minutes until flesh is soft.
Note; Wrap hot cooked chestnuts in a tea towel to keep them warm while you are peeling off the shell.