Chestnut and Crispy Noodle Salad
For 2 servings:
• 1-2 cups peeled, steamed chestnuts (steam 15-20 mins)
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1 tsp Tamari or Braggs Amino
• 2-3 cups crisp lettuce strips
• salad vegetables (spring onion, coriander leaves, celery, cucumber, red capsicum, sprouts, or whatever salad veg you prefer)
• 1 cup crisp-fried noodles
• ¼ cup prepared dressing
• 2-3 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Coat steamed chestnuts with sesame oil and Tamari and quickly stir fry.
- Cut the crisp lettuce into strips. Place in bowl with two or three other salad vegetables, cut in thin strips.
- Toss warm chestnuts with about 1 tbsp of dressing. Toss salad mix with about 2 tbsp of dressing.
- Layer the greens, crisp-fried noodles and chestnuts in a pyramid on a salad plate.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 cm piece of fresh root ginger
• 1 small dried chilli pepper (optional)
• ¼ cup wine vinegar or rice vinegar
• ¼ cup Tamari
• 1-2 tbsp sugar (I use honey instead of sugar as my personal preference)
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tbsp cornflour (real maize cornflour not wheat based)
• ½ cup water
- Roughly chop the garlic and ginger in a food processor. Process with all remaining dressing ingredients (or shake together), except water, until finely chopped. Add water, tip into a pot or pan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, pour into a lidded container and cool. Use immediately or store in refrigerator. (Dressing will keep for about a week in refrigerator). (Also excellent with chicken!)
Take your favourite salad and toss 1 handful of steamed chestnuts through it to add extra interest, flavour and nutrition.
Pork Potato Chestnut Salad
Prep: 30 mins Cook: 20 mins Total: 50 mins
• 240g of chestnuts whole vacuum packed
• 2 potatoes
• 4 thin slices of pork breast
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
• 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chervil
• 1 loose leaf lettuce
• 200 grams cherry tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
• Sea salt and pepper
- Cook the potatoes in plenty of water.
- Fry the pork breast in a frying pan.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves, green onion, chopped chervil and cherry tomatoes in a large salad bowl.
- Cover them with pork breast, then warm potatoes cut into slices.
- Add the chestnuts.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a jar and shake well to make the vinaigrette sauce.
- Serve the salad with the vinaigrette sauce
Adapted from: http://www.clementfaugier.fr/fr/v4/v4_recette.aspx?ID_RECETTE=5
Roasted chestnut and beetroot salad
Prep: 20 Minutes + Chilling
A warm salad for cold days. Quickly roast the chestnuts and beetroot then assemble with the lettuce and blue cheese to make a speedy meal for two. Add crusty bread if you like.
• 2 large pre cooked beetroot, cut into wedges
• 80 gram cooked, peeled chestnuts
• olive oil
• 1 tsp raw honey
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp white wine vinegar
• 2 big handfuls loose leaf lettuce
• 50 gm stilton or other blue cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Tip the beetroot and chestnuts onto a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tsp oil. Season and roast for 10 minutes until the chestnuts are golden and the beetroot have warmed through.
- Whisk 1 tbsp oil with the honey, mustard and vinegar.
- Toss the lettuce, beetroot and chestnuts with the dressing and divide between 2 plates.
- Scatter over the stilton to serve.
Spicy brinjal and chestnut salad
• 4 long fat eggplants
• 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
• 1 finely chopped garlic glove
• 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds
• 1/2 capsicum finely chopped
• 1 chilli finely chopped (leave seeds in if you like it hot)
• 8 large chestnuts boiled for 25 minutes
• 3 large tomatoes diced
• Salt & Pepper
• Chopped flat leaf parsley & fresh coriander (about a cup)
- Brush the egg plant with oil and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes on 220c. When they are done they will be soft and easy to peel (let them cool a bit before you peel them). Once peeled chop into bite sized pieces.
- In a bowl combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, cumin and coriander. Season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Add the eggplant, capsicum, chilli, tomatoes and peeled chopped chestnuts and combine.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour or two before serving.
Spinach Arugula Salad with Chestnuts and Pomegranate
Author: The Mediterranean Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 15 mins
WHITE WINE VINAIGRETTE
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• Salt and pepper
SPINACH ARUGULA SALAD
• 3 oz baby spinach
• 5 oz baby arugula
• 1/2 head radicchio lettuce, chopped or shredded
• 1/2 English cucumber, sliced into rounds
• 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
• 1 cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
• 10 roasted chestnuts, peeled and roughly chopped (keep in a small ziploc bag until ready)
- To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and white wine vinegar. Add the minced garlic and se